57 Surefire Methods To Stop Hair Pulling, However Do They Work
I recently requested some adult hair pulling students to compile a listing of ways they have tried through the years to finish their trichotillomania. After only a handful had replied, I had quite a lengthy list.
This listing of “ways to stop hair pulling” seems at the tip of this article. Whenever you overview it, you may be shocked. How can individuals who’ve tried so lengthy and exhausting, utilizing so many ways to free themselves from hair pulling still be wracked with a lot suffering You could end up saying, “Well, then . . . there Must NOT be a cure for trichotillomania..if individuals have tried so many ways to finish hair pulling and had been unsuccessful.”
I ask you to look ahead to only a second and to finish studying this article earlier than making that evaluation.
My expertise is that hair pulling is the result of a extremely-delicate persona coupled with repeated emotional wounding. In my final best hair for clip in extensions article, you learned that a really excessive share of hair pulling adults and parents of hair pulling youngsters and teens report being “highly sensitive”. People who are born highly-sensitive are extra susceptible to wounding and trauma by things that non-sensitives might not find even remotely upsetting or offensive. Very quickly this wounding and trauma can cause them to feel even more extremely-delicate.
The cycle can repeat again and again leaving the person, often a toddler or teen, to really feel a painful sense of extreme frustration, anger, sadness or fragility. And in turn, to hunt solace in a habits resembling hair pulling, which presents 24/7 relief, never says no, and unlike drugs, alcohol or cigarettes, is completely freed from cost and available at any age.
Those who develop into hair pullers are most often good children with inner turmoil and a habit of caretaking others. They are not looking for you to see their inner suffering. They do not want to hurt anyone else or to look weak. They don’t wish to cope by doing something unlawful that would end in being carted off to jail or something that would cause them to be seen in a destructive light. For them trichotillomania is a perfect solution. That’s, until the methods of its highly addictive nature units in and the bald spots seem.
Caroline Myss, Ph.D. noted medical intuitive and creator of “Why Individuals Don’t Heal and the way They can,” wrote:
Many individuals come to consider that their lives are only a compilation of psychological wounds, which they feel they can do little to heal. To the suggestion that their wounds may be released, such individuals often reply, “You don’t perceive. I’ve never been the same since that experience. How can I change that now
After experiencing a traumatic or tragic expertise, these folks tend to look at every new experience by the LENS OF THE WOUND it inflicted on them.
. . . They seek out a help system that offers them a social comfort zone, one that will remain sympathetic to their woundedness with out ever difficult them to put it behind them.
Whereas there may be some reality on this position and definitely our tradition promotes a “woundology” mentality, the vast majority of hair pullers will not be sitting round moaning about their downside or looking for methods to end their trichotillomania. As a substitute, all around the world they’re hiding in shame and secrecy. Most don’t remember what led them to pull in the primary place and have no idea how they got here to battle with such a cruel, self-harming affliction.
The answer, therefore, is to help trichotillomania sufferers to reconnect with their core underlying truths in order that they can remember who they really are beneath the wounding and the pulling and why they’re deserve to be free. The following step is to assist them to see past the lie that they’re incapable of attaining freedom. And, then finally, to assist them discover and resolve the wounds of the highly-sensitive components which can be patiently waiting inside them for healing and launch.
That is the work of becoming Pull-Free, Ultimately!
In no particular order, right here is the checklist of ways to stop hair pulling and end trichotillomania that hairpullers I’ve interviewed have tried or used:
1. Brute power
3. Medicine, SSRI’s, mood stabilizers, anti-anxieties, and many others.
6. Cognitive conduct therapy (squeezing balls, steering wheel, rubber band punishment)
7. Nunn’s competing reaction (hold onto one thing and don’t let go for several minutes)
11. Preserving chart and depend of each hair pulled
12. Felt emotions when pulling
13. Turning it over to God, going to church and focusing on God
14. Studying the Bible
18. Speaking to and confiding in others
19. Setting goals/milestones
20. Accepting trich
21. On-line help group
23. Avoiding stressful situations
24. Avoiding tv, reading books, speaking on the cellphone, pc use
25. Cover head with hat, scarves, bandana, sleeping with a hat, hairpins, barrettes
26. Conserving palms continually busy (palm pilot games, balls, knitting, cross stitch, needlepoint, different crafts, squishy toys)
27. Shaved head
28. Carrying gloves, mittens, bandaids on fingers, false fingernails
29. Learn books about best hair for clip in extensions trich
30. Support groups
31. 12 step groups
32. Self-hynotherapy cd
33. Naturopathic physicians
34. Special diets
35. Switched from contacts to glasses
36. Different trich solution webpage
37. Moisturizer, keep fingers slick with lotion, vaseline on lashes
38. Hiding the tweezers
41. Self-Assist books and tapes
42. Coloring hair, holding hair wet, go away-in conditioners, totally different hair merchandise
43. Lined over the mirrors, do not look into mirrors
44. Connecting with optimistic folks
45. Don’t go to mattress till sleepy
46. Slow breathing
47. Sit on hands, keep arms away from face
48. Chew gum
49. Inform myself the damage consequences of pulling
50. Put on false eyelashes, particularly at evening and sleep in them
51. Stored hair brief
52. Make & keep common hair appointments with beautician. If too much harm, won’t need to go, but have to keep appointment.
53. Caffeine reduction
54. Make a pact with self. If I do not pull, I CAN _____.