9 Insane Details About the Human Hair Used in Wigs And Extensions
Kylie Jenner loves a good wig — her glam room has a shelf devoted to the various she owns — but if these hairpieces are made utilizing real human hair (and it is possible that that’s the case), they in all probability value hundreds and thousands of dollars. Surprisingly, the wigs are costly not simply because of Kylie, however because there’s an intense demand for human hair across the globe. Priceonomics took a take a look at that market in a feature story revealed this week — here are a few of essentially the most mind-blowing information that were spotlighted within the article.
1. The human hair business is extraordinarily profitable. In fact, it’s a multibillion dollar market. Hair is so prized that in a single excessive case, the hair on a woman’s head was literally reduce off by a gang. It goes toward the making of wigs, hair extensions, and fake eyelashes, as well as fertilizers and amino acids used to make dough (for pizza and bagels).
2. The vast majority of human hair utilized in wigs and extensions comes from India and China. Religious individuals make pilgrimages to temples such because the Venkateswara Temple in Tirumala, India, where they shave/tonsure their heads in a ritual of devotion. A whole lot of barbers shave a brand new person’s head each five minutes, leaving “bloody scalps and hair balls” throughout the ground. The temple takes these strands, which may get up to 30 inches long, and sells them at public sale.
3. Hair from the temple can price $seven-hundred a pound, however when it gets bought at auction, it is not likely in great shape. “Sweat, blood, and lice” may be found in the hair, which ends up in warehouses that “reek of mildew and fungus.”
4. It takes days to make a excessive-finish wig. First, curly hair blog the hair needs to get untangled and sorted. The, the lice (if there may be any) has to get picked out of the hair. That gets followed by washing, drying, and dyeing. After that, it gets made right into a wig.
5. You can’t untangle hair from economics. Traditionally, the motion of hair has at all times gone from the poor to the wealthy. It is no different now, where hair comes from China and India, and gets offered predominantly in the United States and Europe, as well as Africa.
6. When you have lengthy, naturally blonde hair, you will get as much as $1,500 in your hair. One wig retailer informed Priceonomics that one woman from Indiana acquired that sum for her hair, which was then turned right into a wig priced at $8,000.
7. Brief hair additionally will get collected and sold. It’s not as pricey or desirable, and is mostly used for industrial purposes.
8. Individuals shopping for wigs aren’t too concerned about the ethics of the place wigs come from or how they’re made. Though most human hair comes from India and China, only a fraction of that hair comes from the temples. “The place the rest comes from, we have no idea,” a regional minister for textiles and commerce in India told The Guardian in 2006. Still, the mysterious origins of all that hair don’t bother customers — they only wish to know that it is hygienic.
9. Artificial wigs are getting higher and better. The Chinese language and Indian economies are a lot stronger now than they had been 10 years ago, which also signifies that its citizens are wealthier, and there aren’t as many hair donors now as there as soon as have been. However that means companies are coming up with different ways to make wigs and extensions that are just nearly as good to curly hair blog style as actual human hair.
Get non-boring fashion and beauty news directly in your feed. Observe Facebook.com/CosmoBeauty.