Stay Curly, Reside Free
The most recent round of questions I’ve been getting is about a remedy referred to as “Liquid Keratin.” Many curly women are asking me if it is as safe and efficient a means of straightening at home as the corporate claims it’s.
Frankly, primarily based on what I’ve heard from others and my very own training as a cosmetologist, I think Liquid Keratin is a whole lot of unhealthy news and not a complete lot of the rest. I’ve absolutely no qualms about sitting right here and telling you I consider there is a bunch of deceptive info of their advertising and marketing and they don’t seem to be being honest with shoppers about this product.
To start with, what is Liquid Keratin
The company says it’s a “..revolutionary patented treatment that infuses curly, frizzy, unmanageable hair with keratin protein that it’s naturally lacking in simply half-hour..in contrast to salon therapies, Liquid Keratin Does not comprise Formaldehyde or harmful chemical ingredients.[it] is a spray in therapy with superb results of straighter, smoother, stronger and longer hair immediately!”
From the above, which could be found on the corporate’s web site, I think we will agree customers are being led to believe it is a secure technique to straighten their hair utilizing only a protein infusion therapy. Unfortunately, their marketing is deceptive for fairly a couple of reasons, as I have outlined below:
1) Not everyone who has curly hair has keratin protein that’s “naturally lacking.” On the contrary, coarse-haired curlies manufacture an overabundance of protein “naturally” of their hair on their very own. If you place extra protein–especially with a treatment like this–on high of hair that is already protein-heavy, you will have a dry, straw-like mess in your hands.
2) Hair is permanently straightened or curled by breaking what are known as the “disulfide bonds” in your hair–the bonds that are accountable for the shape of your hair strand. The marketing of this product leads shoppers to consider the keratin protein infusion is what is accountable for straightening the hair; however, it is completely not possible for protein alone to interrupt disulfide bonds to permanently straighten curly hair. That takes chemicals equivalent to sodium hydroxide, ammonium thioglycolate..or, formaldehyde.
And this is the place it begins to get really fascinating.
3) The corporate payments the product as formaldahyde-free. They literally scream it at you in caps: “Does not include Formaldehyde or harmful chemical ingredients.” However, for those who look on the ingredients on their product label, you will see one close to the highest known as “Biformyl.” And another name for biformyl is oxalaldehyde, which occurs to belong to the group of natural compounds known as aldehydes..a gaggle to which formaldehyde additionally belongs.
4) There may be protein on this treatment; however, the order of the ingredients on the product ingredient label tells me this is solely a formaldehyde-kind straightener with a bit of protein keratin thrown in to allow them to legally name it a keratin treatment as a substitute of what it actually is..a process that’s banned in lots of salons because of the risk of sickness from fume inhalation.
5) Fairly just a few ladies with lightened or bleached hair who’ve really used this product reported it turned their coloration a horrible, brassy orange coloration, which they then wanted to have redone. Something a pure protein remedy wouldn’t do.
So, there you’ve gotten it. This secure little at-dwelling therapy does not appear so secure abruptly, does it And that i have to surprise: what do we think would possibly probably happen if an individual with asthma or different breathing-related health points is exposed to an aldehyde with out their information
My dream girl wig greatest challenge is that this: I have a giant drawback with sneaky, unethical advertising. I do not like it when any product manufacturer tries to tug the wool over the customer’s eyes just in order that they can make a buck. And i invite any representative from the Liquid Keratin company to handle the factors above and inform dream girl wig us why they aren’t being deceptive or dishonest in their promoting of this product.