To The Wig Shop!
Earlier than and After.
The hair in a wig is generally made of plastic. Until it is an costly human hair wig, which I do know nothing about as a result of they’re too expensive for me to have. So presuming that you’re poor like me, and working with a synthetic wig, regular previous hair dye is not going to work. Being as it is designed for regular old hair that’s not manufactured from plastic. Here is what you want instead:
1. Acrylic ink. (Ink, not paint – this is essential! You’ll find this at your local craft store. Or online.)
2. A cup of rubbing alcohol. (You can find this in your medicine cabinet.)
3. A spray bottle. (The dollar retailer is your good friend.)
A few of the inks come with a dropper inside the top. I used two manufacturers: FW and Speedball. The FW had a dropper, the opposite did not. The dropper does make it simpler to make use of, and you may want to pick up some disposable pipettes if you do not have the dropper. Otherwise, just rely on your finest guesstimation. If you have a dropper, the really helpful hair stayli ratio of ink to alcohol is eight full squeezes of ink for every cup of alcohol. Clearly this is not a precise science. Just mix the ink and alcohol within the spray bottle till it seems to be the shade you need. You need to use completely different coloured inks to tweak the shade. And testing it out on lock of your wig’s hair would not be a nasty thought.
For my wig I used 3/4 cup of alcohol and about 6-7 squeezes of ink, and that i ended up with leftover ink mixture. But I was also turning an aqua wig blue, so I wasn’t anxious about total coverage, and there are some spots the place the old coloration is still visible. The quantity you’ll want really depends on how a lot hair you want to cowl.
Please note. You can’t dye a wig lighter. So as an example should you started with a red wig you would not be able to show it pink, and if you began with a black wig you wouldn’t be able to turn it another color. The colour you may have beneath can have an effect on the final coloration considerably so for the purest colour you need to start with a white wig. Blond may also take the coloration well, and medium colours like my blue wig on this put up may also take the colour however they’ll only go darker. Always start with a lighter wig and dye darker.
After you’ve gotten your mixture, set your wig up outside. I used the ultra fancy method of putting a broomstick in a jug of water and propping the wig on the broomstick. This isn’t the perfect technique if it’s windy. Additionally it regarded like I had scalped a muppet and hung it up as a warning to other muppets. (Muppets need to be kept of their place.) When you get your wig propped up somewhere, in some way you can begin spraying.
Make sure that you’re both somewhere that overspray and runoff don’t matter, or you might have something on the ground to catch the mess. It will make a large number. The ink bought all over my hands, however when you wash it straight away it would not really stain. (It would not stain Hands, for clothes there may very well be more of a problem. Do not put on your favorite white shirt.)
Let the wig dry. On cosplay.com they stated something like 8 hours, hair stayli but I did more like 2 with no issues. Rinse the wig out with water. Let it dry again. And brush it out. If you utilize numerous ink you could must rinse and brush more than once to get the crinkliness out; but even earlier than brushing, I was actually happy with the texture and shine on mine. There was some minor stiffness earlier than brushing, but not a lot.
And there you go. Just a few straightforward steps and also you too can have a hair colour not discovered wherever in nature.
ETA: I have been getting a whole lot of questions within the comments, so let me simply stress a pair issues.
1) You can not DYE A WIG LIGHTER WITH THIS Technique. You possibly can only dye a darker color than what you are starting with.
2) RIT dye doesn’t work higher than acrylic ink. There’s some info about it in the feedback the place I tested it out. And granted the standard of the wig I used was terrible, however it did not hold the colour as properly in any respect. Simply so you already know.
3) This is not a precise method. That is all based on guesstimation. If you wish to play round with the mixture or you wish to attempt one thing besides a spray bottle that is tremendous. Simply try to test it out on somewhat little bit of the wig first if you can. That’s your finest approach to determine how it’ll work.
4) I am not AN Expert! I actually cannot inform you which ones colors you want to use to get a specific effect, and that i’ve never tried to do highlights or dye with two completely different colors or something complicated like that. While I believe a variety of things are Possible with this technique, I haven’t examined most of them, so it is really going to be as much as you to play with the potentialities and use a bit trial and error.
I do not thoughts attempting to reply any questions you might have, but I am unable to provide you with way more information than what’s in this put up. Your finest guess to find out what’s potential and what you are able to do is just to experiment.