To The Wig Shop!
Earlier than and After.
The hair in a wig is generally made of plastic. Until it’s an costly human hair wig, which I know nothing about because they’re too expensive for me to have. So presuming that you are poor like me, and dealing with a synthetic wig, regular old hair dye isn’t going to work. Being as it’s designed for common outdated hair that isn’t made of plastic. Here’s what you need as a substitute:
1. Acrylic ink. (Ink, not paint – that is important! You can find this at your native craft retailer. Or on-line.)
2. A cup of rubbing alcohol. (You will discover this in your drugs cabinet.)
3. A spray bottle. (The greenback store is your buddy.)
Among the inks include a dropper inside the top. I used two brands: FW and Speedball. The FW had a dropper, the other didn’t. The dropper does make it easier to use, and you might want to choose up some disposable pipettes if you do not have the dropper. Otherwise, just rely in your best guesstimation. In case you have a dropper, the beneficial ratio of ink to alcohol is 8 full squeezes of ink for every cup of alcohol. Obviously this isn’t an exact science. Just combine the ink and alcohol in the spray bottle till it seems to be the shade you want. You should utilize totally different colored inks to tweak the coloration. And testing it out on lock of your wig’s hair wouldn’t be a bad idea.
For my wig I used 3/4 cup of alcohol and about 6-7 squeezes of ink, and i ended up with leftover ink mixture. However I used to be additionally turning an aqua wig blue, so I wasn’t fearful about complete protection, and there are some spots where the previous shade remains to be seen. The quantity you may want actually is dependent upon how a lot hair that you must cover.
Please notice. You can’t dye a wig lighter. So for example should you started with a red wig you wouldn’t be in a position to turn it pink, and in case you started with a black wig you would not be in a position to show it every other shade. The colour you may have beneath can have an effect on the final coloration considerably so for the purest colour you want to begin with a white wig. Blond will even take the shade nicely, and medium colours like my blue wig in this publish may even take the colour however they will only go darker. All the time begin with a lighter wig and dye darker.
After you may have your mixture, set your wig up outside. I used the ultra fancy method of putting a broomstick in a jug of water and propping the wig on the broomstick. This isn’t the very best method if it is windy. Also it looked like I had scalped a muppet and hung it up as a warning to different muppets. (Muppets must be kept of their place.) When you get your wig propped up somewhere, in some way you can begin spraying.
Make sure you are either someplace that overspray and runoff don’t matter, or you’ve gotten something on the ground to catch the mess. It can make a large number. The ink bought all over my fingers, but in case you wash it right away it doesn’t really stain. (It would not stain Hands, for clothes there may very well be more of a problem. Do not wear your favorite white shirt.)
Let the wig dry. On cosplay.com they mentioned one thing like eight hours, however I did extra like 2 with no problems. Rinse the wig out with water. Let it dry again. And brush it out. If you utilize plenty of ink chances are you’ll need to rinse and brush more than as soon as to get the crinkliness out; however even before brushing, I used to be really proud of the texture and shine on mine. There was some minor stiffness before brushing, but not an excessive amount of.
And there you go. A number of straightforward steps and also you too can have a hair colour not found anyplace in nature.
ETA: I’ve been getting a lot of questions within the comments, so let me simply stress a honey for hair conditioning pair issues.
1) You can not DYE A WIG LIGHTER WITH THIS Technique. You possibly can solely dye a darker shade than what you are starting with.
2) RIT dye doesn’t work higher than acrylic ink. There’s some data about it in the feedback the place I tested it out. And granted the quality of the wig I used was terrible, nevertheless it did not hold the shade as well in any respect. Simply so you realize.
3) This is not a precise method. This is all based on guesstimation. If you wish to play round with the mixture or you want to attempt something in addition to a spray bottle that is high quality. Simply strive to check it out on a little bit little bit of the wig first if you can. That’s your best approach to figure out how it may work.
4) I’m not AN Professional! I really can’t tell you which of them colours you want to make use of to get a selected impact, and that i’ve never tried to do highlights or dye with two totally different colours or anything complex like that. Whereas I think plenty of issues are Doable with this method, I have not tested most of them, so it is actually going to be as much as you to play with the prospects and use slightly trial and error.
I don’t thoughts making an attempt to reply any questions you could have, however I can’t provide you with way more info than what’s on this put up. Your greatest guess to seek out out what’s potential and what you can do is simply to experiment.