57 Surefire Methods To Stop Hair Pulling, However Do They Work
I lately requested some grownup hair pulling college students to compile a list of how they have tried through the years to end their trichotillomania. After just a handful had replied, I had quite a prolonged checklist.
This list of “methods to stop hair pulling” appears at the tip of this text. While you review it, you may be shocked. How can individuals who’ve tried so lengthy and exhausting, utilizing so many ways to free themselves from hair pulling nonetheless be wracked with a lot suffering You may quick way to curl your hair find yourself saying, “Well, then . . . there Must NOT be a cure for trichotillomania..if people have tried so some ways to finish hair pulling and had been unsuccessful.”
I ask you to watch for just a second and to complete reading this article earlier than making that evaluation.
My experience is that hair pulling is the results of a extremely-delicate persona coupled with repeated emotional wounding. In my final article, you learned that a very high percentage of hair pulling adults and parents of hair pulling children and teens report being “highly sensitive”. People who are born highly-delicate are extra susceptible to wounding and trauma by things that non-sensitives might not find even remotely upsetting or offensive. Very quickly this wounding and trauma can cause them to feel even more extremely-delicate.
The cycle can repeat again and again leaving the person, often a baby or teen, to really feel a painful sense of extreme frustration, anger, sadness or fragility. And in flip, to seek solace in a behavior reminiscent of hair pulling, which gives 24/7 relief, never says no, and unlike drugs, alcohol or cigarettes, is totally freed from cost and out there at any age.
Those who turn out to be hair pullers are most often good youngsters with interior turmoil and a behavior of caretaking others. They don’t need you to see their internal suffering. They are not looking for to hurt anybody else or to look weak. They do not wish to cope by doing one thing illegal that could lead to being carted off to jail or something that could cause them to be seen in a damaging light. For them trichotillomania is a perfect answer. That’s, until the methods of its highly addictive nature units in and the bald spots appear.
Caroline Myss, Ph.D. noted medical intuitive and writer of “Why Folks Don’t Heal and how They will,” wrote:
Many individuals come to believe that their lives are solely a compilation of psychological wounds, which they really feel they will do little to heal. To the suggestion that their wounds can be launched, such people usually respond, “You do not understand. I have by no means been the same since that experience. How can I change that now
After experiencing a traumatic or tragic experience, these people have a tendency to take a look at each new expertise by way of the LENS OF THE WOUND it inflicted on them.
. . . They hunt down a support system that gives them a social comfort zone, one that will stay sympathetic to their woundedness without ever challenging them to place it behind them.
Whereas there could also be some truth in this place and positively our culture promotes a “woundology” mentality, nearly all of hair pullers aren’t sitting round moaning about their problem or trying to find ways to finish their trichotillomania. As an alternative, everywhere in the world they are hiding in disgrace and secrecy. Most do not remember what led them to drag in the first place and do not know how they got here to battle with such a cruel, self-harming affliction.
The solution, due to this fact, is to assist trichotillomania sufferers to reconnect with their core underlying truths so that they will remember who they actually are underneath the wounding and the pulling and why they are need to be free. The subsequent step is to help them to see past the lie that they are incapable of achieving freedom. And, then lastly, to help them uncover and resolve the wounds of the extremely-delicate elements that are patiently waiting inside them for healing and launch.
This is the work of turning into Pull-Free, Ultimately!
In no explicit order, here is the record of how to cease hair pulling and finish trichotillomania that hairpullers I’ve interviewed have tried or used:
1. Brute drive
3. Remedy, SSRI’s, mood stabilizers, anti-anxieties, and many others.
6. Cognitive habits therapy (squeezing balls, steering wheel, rubber band punishment)
7. Nunn’s competing response (hold onto something and don’t let go for several minutes)
11. Retaining chart and depend of every hair pulled
12. Felt feelings when pulling
13. Turning it over to God, going to church and specializing in God
14. Reading the Bible
18. Speaking to and confiding in others
19. Setting objectives/milestones
20. Accepting trich
21. Online assist group
23. Avoiding worrying conditions
24. Avoiding tv, studying books, talking on the cellphone, laptop use
25. Cowl head with hat, scarves, bandana, sleeping with a hat, hairpins, barrettes
26. Keeping palms consistently busy (palm pilot video games, balls, knitting, cross stitch, needlepoint, other crafts, squishy toys)
27. Shaved head
28. Sporting gloves, mittens, bandaids on fingers, false fingernails
29. Read books about trich
30. Support teams
31. 12 step teams
32. Self-hynotherapy cd
33. Naturopathic physicians
34. Particular diets
35. Switched from contacts to glasses
36. Other trich answer website
37. Moisturizer, keep fingers slick with lotion, vaseline on lashes
38. Hiding the tweezers
41. Self-Assist books and tapes
42. Coloring hair, conserving hair wet, leave-in conditioners, completely different hair products
43. Covered over the mirrors, don’t look into mirrors
44. Connecting with positive individuals
45. Don’t go to bed till sleepy
46. Slow respiration
47. Sit on arms, keep hands away from face
48. Chew gum
49. Tell myself the harm penalties of pulling
50. Wear false eyelashes, especially at evening and sleep in them
51. Kept hair quick
52. Make & keep common hair appointments with beautician. If too much harm, will not wish to go, but have to keep appointment.
53. Caffeine reduction
54. Make a pact with self. If I do not pull, I CAN _____.