57 Surefire Methods To Cease Hair Pulling, But Do They Work
I just lately asked some adult hair pulling students to compile a listing of the way they have tried over the years to finish their trichotillomania. After only a handful had replied, I had fairly a prolonged list.
This checklist of “ways to cease hair pulling” appears at the end of this article. Once you review it, you could also be shocked. How can folks who’ve tried so lengthy and exhausting, utilizing so many ways to free themselves from hair pulling nonetheless be wracked with a lot suffering Chances are you’ll find yourself saying, “Well, then . . . there Should NOT be a cure for trichotillomania..if individuals have tried so many ways to finish hair pulling and had been unsuccessful.”
I ask you to wait for only a moment and to complete reading this article earlier than making that evaluation.
My experience is that hair pulling is the result of a extremely-delicate personality coupled with repeated emotional wounding. In my final article, you realized that a very high percentage of hair pulling adults and dad and mom of hair pulling children and teenagers report being “highly sensitive”. People who are born extremely-delicate are extra vulnerable to wounding and trauma by things that non-sensitives might not discover even remotely upsetting or offensive. In a short time this wounding and trauma can lead them to really feel even more extremely-delicate.
The cycle can repeat again and again leaving the person, often a toddler or teen, to feel a painful sense of extreme frustration, anger, sadness or fragility. And in flip, to seek solace in a habits comparable to hair pulling, which offers 24/7 relief, by no means says no, and in contrast to medication, alcohol or cigarettes, is completely free of charge and obtainable at any age.
Those who become hair pullers are most frequently good children with interior turmoil and a habit of caretaking others. They don’t want you to see their inside suffering. They don’t need to harm anyone else or to look weak. They don’t wish to cope by doing something unlawful that could end in being carted off to jail or something that would trigger them to be seen in a unfavourable gentle. For them trichotillomania is an ideal solution. That’s, till the methods of its highly addictive nature sets in and the bald spots seem.
Caroline Myss, Ph.D. noted medical intuitive and creator of “Why Individuals Don’t Heal and how They’ll,” wrote:
Many individuals come to believe that their lives are solely a compilation of psychological wounds, which they feel they can do little to heal. To the suggestion that their wounds can be released, such people typically reply, “You do not perceive. I’ve by no means been the identical since that experience. How can I change that now
After experiencing a traumatic or tragic experience, these people tend to look at every new experience via the LENS OF THE WOUND it inflicted on them.
. . . They seek out a assist system that offers them a social consolation zone, one that will stay sympathetic to their woundedness without ever difficult them to place it behind them.
While there may be some reality on this place and definitely our culture promotes a “woundology” mentality, the vast majority of hair pullers will not be sitting round moaning about their problem or trying to find ways to finish their trichotillomania. As a substitute, all around the world they are hiding in disgrace and secrecy. Most do not remember what led them to pull in the first place and have no idea how they came to struggle with such a cruel, self-harming affliction.
The answer, subsequently, is to assist trichotillomania sufferers to reconnect with their core underlying truths in order that they will remember who they really are underneath the wounding and the pulling and why they are should be free. The following step is to assist them to see past the lie that they’re incapable of reaching freedom. And, then lastly, to help them discover and resolve the wounds of the highly-sensitive components which can be patiently ready inside them for healing and launch.
That is the work of changing into Pull-Free, Eventually!
In no explicit order, here is the checklist of ways to cease hair pulling and end trichotillomania that hairpullers I’ve interviewed have tried or used:
1. Brute pressure
3. Treatment, SSRI’s, temper stabilizers, anti-anxieties, and so on.
6. Cognitive habits therapy (squeezing balls, steering wheel, rubber band punishment)
7. Nunn’s competing reaction (hold onto one thing and don’t let go for several minutes)
11. Keeping chart and count of every hair pulled
12. Felt feelings when pulling
13. Turning it over to God, going to church and focusing on God
14. Reading the Bible
18. Speaking to and confiding in others
19. Setting goals/milestones
20. Accepting trich
21. Online support group
23. Avoiding annoying conditions
24. Avoiding television, studying books, speaking on the cellphone, computer use
25. Cover head with hat, scarves, bandana, sleeping with a hat, hairpins, barrettes
26. Holding hands constantly busy (palm pilot video games, balls, knitting, cross stitch, needlepoint, different crafts, squishy toys)
27. Shaved head
28. Sporting gloves, mittens, bandaids on fingers, false fingernails
29. Learn books about trich
30. Help groups
31. 12 step groups
32. Self-hynotherapy cd
33. Naturopathic physicians
34. Particular diets
35. Switched from contacts to glasses
36. Other trich solution web site
37. Moisturizer, keep fingers slick with lotion, vaseline on lashes
38. Hiding the tweezers
41. Self-Assist books and tapes
42. Coloring hair, retaining hair wet, depart-in conditioners, totally different hair merchandise
43. Coated over the mirrors, do not look into mirrors
44. Connecting with optimistic people
45. Don’t go to mattress till sleepy
46. Sluggish respiration
47. Sit on hands, keep arms away from face
48. Chew gum
49. Inform myself the injury penalties of pulling
50. Wear false eyelashes, especially at night and sleep in them
51. Kept hair short
52. Make & keep common hair appointments with beautician. If an excessive amount of injury, will not wish to go, but have to keep appointment.
53. Caffeine discount
54. Make a pact with self. If I don’t pull, I CAN _____.