To The Wig Shop!
Before and After.
The hair in a wig is usually fabricated from plastic. Unless it’s an costly human hair wig, which I do know nothing about as a result of they’re too costly for me to have. So presuming that you’re poor like me, and working with a synthetic wig, common previous hair dye is not going to work. Being as it is designed for regular previous hair that is not product of plastic. Here’s what you want as a substitute:
1. Acrylic ink. (Ink, not paint – this is necessary! You will discover this at your native craft store. Or online.)
2. A cup of rubbing alcohol. (Yow will discover this in your drugs cabinet.)
3. A spray bottle. (The dollar retailer is your pal.)
Some of the inks come with a dropper inside the top. I used two manufacturers: FW and Speedball. The FW had a dropper, the opposite did not. The dropper does make it simpler to make use of, and also you might want to pick up some disposable pipettes if you do not have the dropper. Otherwise, simply rely on your best guesstimation. If in case you have a dropper, the really useful ratio of ink to alcohol is eight full squeezes of ink for every cup of alcohol. Obviously this is not a precise science. Simply mix the ink and alcohol within the spray bottle till it seems to be the shade you need. You should use completely different coloured inks to tweak the colour. And testing it out on lock of your wig’s what is the best weave to buy hair wouldn’t be a nasty idea.
For my wig I used 3/four cup of alcohol and about 6-7 squeezes of ink, and that i ended up with leftover ink mixture. But I used to be also turning an aqua wig blue, so I wasn’t apprehensive about complete protection, and there are some spots the place the old colour remains to be visible. The quantity you’ll want actually depends on how a lot hair you should cover.
Please notice. You cannot dye a wig lighter. So for example in the event you began with a red wig you would not be able to turn it pink, and in case you began with a black wig you wouldn’t be able to show it every other colour. The color you have got underneath can affect the ultimate colour somewhat so for the purest shade you want to begin with a white wig. Blond will even take the shade effectively, and medium colours like my blue wig in this post may also take the coloration but they are going to solely go darker. All the time begin with a lighter wig and dye darker.
After you’ve got your mixture, set your wig up exterior. I used the extremely fancy methodology of placing a broomstick in a jug of water and propping the wig on the broomstick. This isn’t the best method if it is windy. Also it looked like I had scalped a muppet and hung it up as a warning to different muppets. (Muppets must be kept in their place.) When you get your wig propped up someplace, somehow you can start spraying.
Ensure that you are both someplace that overspray and runoff do not matter, or you’ve something on the ground to catch the mess. It should make a multitude. The ink acquired throughout my palms, but for those who wash it right away it doesn’t really stain. (It doesn’t stain Hands, for clothes there might be more of an issue. Don’t wear your favourite white shirt.)
Let the wig dry. On cosplay.com they mentioned one thing like eight hours, but I did extra like 2 with no problems. Rinse the wig out with water. Let it dry again. And brush it out. If you utilize lots of ink it’s possible you’ll have to rinse and brush greater than as soon as to get the crinkliness out; but even before brushing, I used to be actually pleased with the texture and shine on mine. There was some minor stiffness earlier than brushing, but not a lot.
And there you go. A couple of easy steps and also you too can have a hair shade not discovered anywhere in nature.
ETA: I’ve been getting plenty of questions in the comments, so let me simply stress a pair things.
1) You can not DYE A WIG LIGHTER WITH THIS Technique. You may solely dye a darker coloration than what you’re beginning with.
2) RIT dye does not work higher than acrylic ink. There’s some data about it in the feedback where I tested it out. And granted the standard of the wig I used was terrible, but it did not hold the shade as well at all. Just so you understand.
3) This is not an exact methodology. That is all based mostly on guesstimation. If you wish to play around with the mixture or you wish to try something apart from a spray bottle that’s advantageous. Simply try to check it out on slightly bit of the wig first if you may. That’s your finest way to determine how it is going to work.
4) I’m not AN Expert! I actually cannot tell you which ones colours you want to make use of to get a selected effect, and i’ve never tried to do highlights or dye with two completely different colours or anything complex like that. Whereas I feel a lot of issues are Attainable with this methodology, I have not examined most of them, so it is really going to be up to you to play with the potentialities and use just a little trial and error.
I do not thoughts trying to answer any questions you have got, however I can’t give you far more data than what’s on this post. Your best bet to search out out what’s possible and what you are able to do is just to experiment.