9 Insane Details About the Human Hair Used in Wigs And Extensions
Kylie Jenner loves a superb wig — her glam room has a shelf dedicated to the numerous she owns — but when those hairpieces are where can i buy wendy williams wigs made utilizing real human hair (and it is doubtless that that’s the case), they in all probability value hundreds and 1000’s of dollars. Surprisingly, the wigs where can i buy wendy williams wigs are costly not simply due to Kylie, however because there’s an intense demand for human hair around the globe. Priceonomics took a take a look at that market in a characteristic story revealed this week — listed here are a few of essentially the most mind-blowing info that had been spotlighted within the article.
1. The human hair business is extraordinarily profitable. In actual fact, it’s a multibillion dollar market. Hair is so prized that in a single excessive case, the hair on a girl’s head was literally cut off by a gang. It goes toward the making of wigs, hair extensions, and fake eyelashes, as well as fertilizers and amino acids used to make dough (for pizza and bagels).
2. Nearly all of human hair utilized in wigs and extensions comes from India and China. Religious people make pilgrimages to temples such as the Venkateswara Temple in Tirumala, India, the place they shave/tonsure their heads in a ritual of devotion. Tons of of barbers shave a brand new person’s head every 5 minutes, leaving “bloody scalps and hair balls” throughout the ground. The temple takes these strands, which may get up to 30 inches long, and sells them at public sale.
3. Hair from the temple can value $seven hundred a pound, but when it gets purchased at auction, it is not really in great form. “Sweat, blood, and lice” can be discovered within the hair, which ends up in warehouses that “reek of mildew and fungus.”
4. It takes days to make a high-finish wig. First, the hair needs to get untangled and sorted. The, the lice (if there may be any) has to get picked out of the hair. That gets followed by washing, drying, and dyeing. After that, it gets made into a wig.
5. You can’t untangle hair from economics. Historically, the motion of hair has all the time gone from the poor to the wealthy. It is no different now, where hair comes from China and India, and will get sold predominantly within the United States and Europe, in addition to Africa.
6. You probably have long, naturally blonde hair, you can get as a lot as $1,500 to your hair. One wig retailer informed Priceonomics that one girl from Indiana obtained that sum for her hair, which was then turned into a wig priced at $8,000.
7. Brief hair additionally gets collected and sold. It is not as expensive or fascinating, and is usually used for industrial functions.
8. Individuals shopping for wigs aren’t too involved concerning the ethics of the place wigs come from or how they’re made. Although most human hair comes from India and China, solely a fraction of that hair comes from the temples. “Where the remainder comes from, we do not know,” a regional minister for textiles and commerce in India informed The Guardian in 2006. Nonetheless, the mysterious origins of all that hair do not hassle shoppers — they simply need to know that it’s hygienic.
9. Artificial wigs are getting better and higher. The Chinese language and Indian economies are a lot stronger now than they have been 10 years ago, which additionally means that its citizens are wealthier, and there aren’t as many hair donors now as there once have been. But which means corporations are developing with other methods to make wigs and extensions which can be just as good to style as real human hair.
Get non-boring fashion and wonder news instantly in your feed. Comply with Facebook.com/CosmoBeauty.