It seems that young ladies today get bored with their very own hair. Hair extensions are definitely the new accessory and an important part in a girl’s make up. There’s a variation of hair extensions on the market and a variety of the way to be fitted.
The four main forms of hair extensions available on the market are:
Loose hair – hair cut from a donor, process and sold in bulk.
Weft – this is also known as weave. With this hair is sewn together in an extended strip at the top usually a few metre long.
Strands – can be called pre-bonding or pre-tipped. Here the hair has keratin glue on the information and is put through tubes to tie into natural hair.
Tape hair extensions – Skin weaves or skin wefts. These are fitted through the use of double-sided transparent tape.
These extensions are usually made from 100% human hair but can be made from synthetic nylon or a mixture of the 2. There are some things that should be considered before deciding which type to buy. Mainly synthetic are much cheaper than real hair however the downside is that they are not suitable for straightening or curling as they would melt. The plus side with synthetic is that they are available a variety of colours so you can add streaks to your natural hair without it being permanent. Go wild for a party or add a lowlight or highlight for a more natural look. Human hair is the most effective should you intend to put curls in or straighten your hair as it acts like your individual. It may also be dyed if you want an exact colour but cannot find one.
Extensions come in several textures too to match your individual hair. These can vary from curly to straight and come in lots of varieties of curl patterns.
– Silky straight. Silky smooth, straight hair that resembles East Asian hair.
– Yaki. This can be a straight hair that resembles the relaxed texture of Afro-Caribbean hair.
– European hair. This is also straight but may have a tiny wave in unlike the East Asian hair.
– Deep wave. This isn’t a real wave but may be made to appear to be spirals
– Loose deep wave or romantic wave. Soft romantic curls much like the deep wave but looser.
– Jheri curl. Often sold briefly lengths to create the complete ‘afro’ look
– Wet and wavy. Can also be generally known as Spanish or Indian wave. Human hair is usually used for this that already has a natural curl or wave. This could be very natural looking and reverts back to its curly state when wet.
– Feather lux. This is when long feathers are attached to the hair.
These are just a few and names may vary amongst manufacturers.
There are 3 main qualities of extension. Virgin, Remy and double drawn. Virgin hair is unprocessed. It is tied first before cutting to keep the direction of the cuticle. This is usually sewn into wefts or used to make wigs. Remy is hair that is arranged with all the roots at one end and tips opposite after which sewn onto a weft. This type usually lasts longer and remains tangle free. Double drawn is the most expensive having all of the short hairs taken out appearing thicker and gone through twice.
Your extensions can be washed as normal hair using a mild shampoo and cool water to avoid tangles. This need not be done after every use but it is best to consider washing after about 3-4 wearings.